Mistigris computer arts

Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Mistigram: in late elementary school I played homebrew tabletop...



Mistigram: in late elementary school I played homebrew tabletop and RPGs with John @chthonstone Metzger, who lived a block from school and had a complete set of the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe to get the pump primed. I didn’t realise it at the time, but this was presumably because his father, #GeorgeMetzger, was a comics illustrator. (Well, a comix illustrator.) Growing up, I had somehow even wound up with a copy of his work – 1980’s final issue of his #Moondog, from #PrintMint / #LastGasp press.

As a kid, I really didn’t “get it” (part of childhood at that time was making the most of what you had available – eg. trying to make sense of my parents’ Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers comix – unlike today’s bottomless subscription streams of your favorite media, on demand), but in its strangeness it still made its mark on my young psyche, such that 30 years later, when I was curating comics-themed computer art for last July’s MIST0720 artpack collection, I was drawn to reproduce that issue’s cover illustration as a deep cut, wild palette and all, in the #ANSIart medium – with a heavy assist by LDA on the details and colouring. https://instagr.am/p/CRCVgXmDarO/



via Tumblr https://ift.tt/3xo5WHy

No comments:

Post a Comment